I am . . .

A vintage junkie, a legendary vintage junkie, who tries her best to put all of her insane & illogical feelings & illusions into words. I am who I am.

"You can do anything, you just have to dress for it."
Edith Head

a.s x

October 4, 2011

Adapting to 'Adaptation'.

When I was assigned by one of my professors back in university to watch the movie 'Adaptation'  starring Nicholas Cage, Meryl Streep and Chris Cooper I thought it was just going to be a boring movie. A movie that I had to do an assignment on and then I'd forget all about it the second the assignment was done.  I was so very mistaken. This extraordinary movie has so many messages, it's so sad and yet so real. It's one of my favorite movies of all time, and when I love a movie that much it means that it's had some sort of impact on how I deal with certain things in my life. This film is based on Susan Orleans amazing non-fiction book The Orchid Thief through self-referential events. 


If you haven't seen this movie by now I recommend you do. It might not be everyone's cup of tea but it is a work of art, really.


Here are also some of my favorite quotes from the movie. 


Susan Orlean: I suppose I do have one unembarrassed passion. I want to know what it feels like to care about something passionately


Charlie Kaufman: (Voice over) To begin... To begin... How to start? I'm hungry. I should get coffee. Coffee would help me think. Maybe I should write something first, then reward myself with coffee. Coffee and a muffin. Okay, so I need to establish the themes. Maybe a banana-nut. That's a good muffin. 


Charlie Kaufman: (Voice over) Just be real. Confident. Isn't that what women are attracted to? Men don't have to be attractive. But that's not true. Especially these days. Almost as much pressure on men as there is on women these days. Why should I be made to feel I have to apologize for my existence? Maybe it's my brain chemistry. Maybe that's what's wrong with me. Bad chemistry. All my problems and anxiety can be reduced to a chemical imbalance or some kind of misfiring synapses. I need to get help for that. But I'll still be ugly though. Nothing's gonna change that. 


Susan Orlean: There are too many ideas and things and people. Too many directions to go. I was starting to believe the reason it matters to care passionately about something, is that it whittles the world down to a more manageable size.


These are just a few. The dialogue of this film is so real, so raw and so full of passion, hate, anxiety, bitterness and everything we actually experience in real life. Even the characters look real, not air brushed and fake like the usual standard of hollywood actors. And this is a great point for the film because it helps you focus more on the substance of the story and the core of the characters rather than just what they're wearing and what they look like. 


a.s x









No comments:

Post a Comment